An viaduct was constructed of concrete blocks and supported by 12 arches each of 60 foot span. The rails are 120 feet above river level. Next to this a 113 foot high wagon lift was constructed to provide access to the sidings on the Quays This could hold one 4-wheeled open wagon carrying approx. 15 tons and was powered by a steam boiler and winding engine at the top. Its arrival at its destination was heralded by a bell.
The wagon lift was kept open after mining ceased for the shipment of local bricks & granite. However, in 1912 the lift man was dispensed with as little use was being made of the hoist by then. The lift was dismantled in 1934.