In terms of size and production no underground working came close to rivaling Oakeley at Blaenau Ffestiniog. It was claimed to be the largest slate mine in the world. Formed from three quarries in the 1880's it produced up to 60,000 tons per annum with a workforce of 1700. There were 26 floors from almost sea level to 1500' and 50 miles of two foot gauge track underground. One of the underground inclines had no fewer than 6 tracks. The site had its own hospital and workers cottages. The whole of the western side of the Conwy Valley railway line and A470 approaching Blaenau from the North is the Oakeley site. Underneath the waste tips are the remains of the Baltic Hotel, a monastery and several houses - evacuated when more tipping space was required. It closed in 1970 but was reopened shortly after and for some years part of it was known as Gloddfa Ganol mountain tourist centre. The site was acquired by Alfred Macalpine Slate in 1998 and vigorous extraction has recommenced. Plans are now afoot to use the waste rock at Oakeley as building material. There are estimated to be 100 million tonnes of waste rock at the quarry and current production is increasing this by 2 million tonnes a year, Should the scheme come to fruition the waste rock will be sent out by rail using the Conwy Valley line.
Some of the Oakley inclines are now part of the Llechwedd Slate Cavern museum.
There are at least two inclines in ruins at the Llechwedd Slate Caverns Museum