The incline connected Calstock harbour with the east cornwall mineral line. The incline was 800 yds long the rise was 300 ft, with max gradient of 1 in 6. There was a passing loop halfway. The line was worked by a stationary steam engine at the top of the hill. Control was by a system of bells. The line was completed in 1860. It did not survive much past 1872.
There are still remnents of this incline, particularly at the top where the building have been restored.