The line only survived for about ten years as the anticipated passenger traffic never materialised, this line was unusual in the fact that the track gradient was not constant and the two cars had to be run independently.
It was an ambitious project designed to take passengers from the top of the Dyke to Poynings for afternoon tea. The graident was 1:2.9 at the bottom, 1:1.5 in the middle and 1:1.8 at the top, where a brick building housed the oil fired winding engine and also served as as the upper station. There was no lower station just a platform. The railway was closed about 1908 motor buses being easier and cheaper to use than the railway.
Little now remains, but the upper station base slab can be seen, and the route of the railway is obvious on the hillside.
Thanks to Ian James for the historic pictures
Recent pictures (2006)
|Date Opened||24/7/1897||Length||840 ft|
|Gradient||1:1.5*||Track Gauge||914 mm|
|Number of Cars||2||Open to Public||Yes|
|Funicular Type||Track layout|
|Power Source||Railway Status|
* - Variable (max gradient reported)